Monday, October 22, 2007

Your Government at work.

I recently sent this to the Seattle P I. I doubt that it will get published. What do you all think?

Rex.

Wonder why people don’t like to vote yes for public transit measures that come up?
Let me explain how my trip on the Sounder from Edmonds to the Seahawk game went last Sunday.

I took the 11:45 out of Edmonds and had a wonderful ride to King street station. I arrived around 12:30, and had plenty of time to get to my seat and get ready for the National Anthem, raising of the 12th man flag and kick off. It was truly a great way to get to the game. No parking problems, no traffic, and only $3.50 round trip. I had the same pleasurable experience for the ride home.

Here’s the rub. I only saw half the people at the Edmonds station buying tickets at the electronic kiosk. It became apparent why when we boarded the train. No one took anyone’s tickets, or even checked to see if they had one. There was an announcement over the P A that stated, “ If anyone didn’t have a ticket they could purchase one at King Street station”. Again no one checked when we arrived to ensure that people without tickets was doing this. The same scenario was repeated for the return trip after the game.

There are 2 round trip trains from Everett to king street as well as 2 round trip trains from Tacoma to king street for every home game. I don’t think I would be exaggeration to say that 50% of the riders did not pay.

I sure don’t want to fund a system with my hard earned tax dollars when they don’t even attempt to take the fares from the riders. Guess the just figure we’ll pony up again and again and again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are probably the same freeloaders who will protest when the legislature votes to shut it down due to cost overruns.

Lignarius Rex said...

Sonarman, you win the prize!! Well, at least my gratitude. You are the first real person to post on my blog. Pyro does not count cuz he is my little brother.

Here is the rub. I sent this as a letter to the editor to both Seattle papers. One paper is pro; the other is con on a huge tax issue for transit coming up for vote next week. No one has printed it.

I could see the pro tax increase side burying it, but the con side I would think would run with it.

It’s kind of discouraging.

Well, I re sent it to them.

Sonarman, if you like what you see spread the site address around. Would you like your site as a link on my site? Let me know.

Lignarius Rex