Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Baghdad poem

I wrote this poem for my wife while I was stationed in Baghdad implementing the Foreign policy of the United States of America.



MY TEARS WHISPER YOUR NAME

Late at night I reach for you, and your not there.
Your memory kisses my face as I dream.
I can still feel your heart dancing against mine.
As I awaken you are gone…

And my tears whisper your name.

Guilt tortures me when you cry on the phone.
Anxiously I count the days until I can look into your eyes once more.
Oh, how my arms beg to hold you.
Yet, time seems to be sleeping here.

I miss the invitation in your smile and, the silent ways you convey your love.
We could speak a thousand words with a wink or a nod. Mostly I miss the things we didn’t have to say.
I never realized how much was said in that comfortable silence.

I remember the softness of your neck against my lips.
The way your eyes sparkle when you get excited.
I miss holding your hand and saying I love you.
I visit you each night as I dream…

And my tears whisper your name